1. What is ALCAPA Syndrome? Know about this disease related to heart
There is a risk of many diseases in a small heart. Some heart diseases are caused by aging, unhealthy lifestyle or any other health condition, but there are some heart diseases that come along from birth. One such heart-related problem is ALCAPA syndrome. ALCAPA syndrome is considered a rare disease. Although you may find little to read, hear or see about rare diseases, it is important to understand these diseases. It is said that awareness is necessary. So today in this article, what is ALCAPA syndrome, symptoms of ALCAPA syndrome and other questions related to it will be answered.
- What is ALCAPA Syndrome?
- What are the symptoms of ALCAPA syndrome?
- What causes ALCAPA syndrome?
- What is the diagnosis of ALCAPA syndrome?
- What is the treatment for ALCAPA syndrome?
Let us now know the answers to the questions related to ALCAPA syndrome one by one.
2. What is ALCAPA syndrome?
ALCAPA condition is called peculiarity left coronary conduit from the pneumonic vein. Heart problems ALCAPA syndrome is a congenital heart defect. Actually the left coronary artery is abnormal. For the proper functioning of the heart, the left coronary artery is formed from the aorta, which works to supply blood and oxygen to the heart. If for any reason there is a problem related to the blood supply or oxygen supply to the heart, then the heart muscles start weakening. If the problem of ALCAPA syndrome is ignored, then the chances of heart attack can increase or the condition of cardiomyopathy and heart failure can also be caused due to damage of heart muscle. That’s why it’s important to understand the symptoms of ALCAPA syndrome.
Read more: Pitcher Plant: What is a pitcher plant?
3. What are the symptoms of ALCAPA syndrome? (Symptoms of ALCAPA syndrome)
Symptoms of anomaly left coronary artery from the pulmonary artery (ALCAPA syndrome) may include: like:
- Crying or sweating of the baby during feeding.
- Poor feeding of the baby.
- Breathing fast.
- Distress of the child.
- Pale skin in the face.
According to a report published in the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the symptoms of ALCAPA syndrome can be understood during the first two months after the birth of the baby. In such a circumstance, interview with a specialist is important.
4. What causes ALCAPA syndrome? (Cause of ALCAPA syndrome)
According to a report published in the National Center for Biotechnology Information, the main cause of ALCAPA syndrome is abnormality of the left coronary artery. For the proper functioning of the heart, the left coronary artery is formed from the aorta, which works to supply blood and oxygen to the heart. But due to ALCAPA syndrome, there is an interruption in the blood and oxygen supply to the heart.
5. How is ALCAPA syndrome diagnosed? (Diagnosis of ALCAPA syndrome)
ALCAPA syndrome is a congenital defect, but according to a polished report in the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, ALCAPA syndrome can be understood based on symptoms in childhood or adolescence. The following tests may be done to diagnose ALCAPA syndrome. like:
- Echocardiogram – With the help of echocardiogram, information about the structure and blood flow of the heart is given.
- Electrocardiogram – Information about the electrical activity of the heart is obtained from the electrocardiogram (ECG).
- Chest X-ray – During chest X-ray, the working of the heart is understood.
- MRI – With the help of MRI, complete information of the heart is available. If X-rays do not reveal the condition of the heart, then MRI is opted for.
- Cardiac catheterization – The help of cardiac catheterization is taken for the information of blood pressure and oxygen levels up to the heart.
Along with the above mentioned tests, the doctor also takes care of the following heart-related conditions during the diagnosis of ALCAPA syndrome. like:
- Abnormal heart rhythm.
- Heart enlargement.
- Heart murmur problem.
- Rapid pulse.
- Keeping all these things in mind, doctors start the treatment of ALCAPA syndrome.
6. How is ALCAPA syndrome treated? (Treatment for ALCAPA syndrome)
ALCAPA syndrome is mostly treated with the help of surgery. During surgery, the damaged valve is repaired, so that the blood supply and oxygen supply to the heart can be improved. If the heart of a child with ALCAPA syndrome is completely damaged, then a heart transplant may be done. After surgery, the child is given water pills and a medicine is given to help the heart muscles pump. Therefore beta-blockers and ACE inhibitors are prescribed.
Note: The above mentioned medicines are for informational purposes only. Consuming or given these drugs on their own volition can have a negative effect on the body.
7. When to consult a doctor?
Consultation with a doctor is necessary in the following situations. like:
- rapid breathing.
- Extremely lightening of skin color.
- Baby always crying.
- Always worried about the child.
- In such a situation, a doctor should be consulted as soon as possible.