Scarlet fever: What is scarlet fever?
Scarlet fever is also known as scarlatina. It is an infection that spreads from one to another. Due to this disease, red and raised rashes occur all over the body. Initially they look like sunburns. These rashes spread first on the face, then on the throat and then all over the body. If a child has a sore throat , he may have scarlet fever. Because the bacteria that spread scarlet fever also cause sore throat. There is a very high fever in this disease. This fever mostly occurs in children between the age of 5 to 15 years. It is considered a serious disease in children. On the off chance that it isn’t treated on time, it can have significant results. Red fever is brought about by a bacterium called Streptococcus pyogenes. This disease can be treated with antibiotic medicines.
Symptoms of Scarlet fever
Red rash- Seeing these red rash, it seems that sunburn has happened. It usually starts in the mouth and then spreads through the neck to the chest, arms, abdomen and legs. If you itch on these pimples, then they turn yellow.
Red Lines– Red lines occur in places like the waist, elbows, knees, armpits, and neck. Gradually these lines deepen.
Swollen face- Due to this disease, yellow circles appear on the face. This makes the face appear swollen.
Strawberry Tongue – Due to this disease, the tongue feels red and raised. Along with this, a white layer also climbs on the cheek. These are some of the early symptoms of this disease.
Redness and rashes of face and tongue persist for about a week. When this redness subsides, the body feels peeled, where burning can also occur. Other symptoms of scarlet fever:
- 101 fever can occur due to this disease.
- Suddenly it gets cold.
- Red, white and yellow rashes may appear in the throat.
- Headache will remain.
Cause of Scarlet fever
Red fever is brought about by a microbes called Streptococcus. The same bacteria can also cause oral infection in the throat and mouth. These microbes make poisonous components in the body.Because of which red rashes happen in the body.
Does scarlet fever spread from one to another?
Yes, scarlet fever is a contagious disease. The person who has this disease, if any other person comes in contact with him, then it also becomes him. Usually this disease infects another person in two to five days. Scarlet fever is spread through sneezing, saliva or phlegm.
- Scarlet fever can also happen when you drink water or eat something from a false glass of a sick person.
- This disease does not spread by touch, but by skin-to-skin contact, this infection can spread.
- You can get it even if you use a towel or clothes from a person with scarlet fever.
- Sometimes you do not notice symptoms after having scarlet fever. In such a situation, it becomes difficult to detect the disease at the earliest.
When does scarlet fever become a serious disease?
Some symptoms of scarlet fever are visible in the beginning. If it is not treated in time, then it becomes a serious disease and starts affecting other parts of the body. If not treated at the right time, kidney disease, ear infection, pneumonia and arthritis can occur. The organs that scarlet fever affects are:
Diagnosis of Scarlet fever
- As mentioned earlier, this disease mostly occurs in children. Child specialists are doctors for children and they treat them.
- The doctor examines the child’s body thoroughly.
- To find out the symptoms, the doctr first examines the tongue , throat and tonsils of the child.
- The doctor will look at the rashes on the body. Along with this, we will also try to find out whether any lump has formed in the body.
- If the doctor thinks that the child has scarlet fever, he may take a sample of the cells of the child’s throat for testing.
- This sample will be tested in the lab.
Treatment for Scarlet fever
Scarlet fever is usually treated in the same way as a sore throat. The doctor may give antibiotics to the child. The child should not be sent to school while the child is undergoing treatment. Apart from this, the doctor can also prescribe some other treatment.
- Gargling with warm and salty water, which can eliminate sore throat and swelling .
- Acetaminophen (Tylenol) or ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin) can be given to reduce pain or fever. But these medicines are for elders.
- The doctor may ask the child to drink more and more fluids. This will give relief to the child’s throat and there will be no dehydration.
- If there is moisture in the air of the house, it can help in healing the baby’s throat.
- If your child is 4 years old, then you can add it to soup or any drink.
- If the rash on the child’s body is itching, then the doctor gives anti-itching medicine. Keep your child’s nails trimmed so that they do not damage their skin.
Important things to keep in mind
If someone has scarlet fever in the house, then take special care of cleanliness. Because this disease spreads rapidly. Teach your kids these things:
- Wash your hands after using the washroom.
- Make it a habit to wash your hands whenever you cough or sneeze.
- Keep a handkerchief over your mouth when you have a cold or cough.
- Do not use anyone’s false utensils and glasses for food and drink.
- Keep children away from dusty places and pollution.
- Don’t smoke too.